CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 28, 2022

Visceral Cultural Experience - Grad School




 

 
Lorie Leske
Multiculturalism and Diversity Student

I was both excited and nervous about this visceral cultural experience project for class. I planned out my time to have lunch at the Salvation Army one afternoon. When I was getting ready to leave the comfort of my own home I realized that I would not fit in very well and I didn't want to look like an intruder. All of a sudden I felt self-conscious about my freshly manicured nails, the jewelry I was wearing, my new shoes I had bought to go with my outfit, and my newly cut and colored hairdo. I took off my jewelry, changed my clothing, and donned a ball cap. I was painfully aware that I have benefitted from institutional racism and was feeling some white privilege guilt.

When I looked up the location of the Salvation Army I realized that its location was evidence of structural classism and psychological distancing. It is located on “the other side of the tracks”. It is not on a through street so no one will accidentally or regularly drive by it unless they are looking for it. I wondered if there would be greater community support and compassion if the Salvation Army was on a main road, a busy busline, closer to the “World Famous Mayo Clinic”. Would people take notice of the needs in our community if we didn’t hide it away in a corner?

I parked down the street from the Salvation Army and walked to the community center where lunch was being served. I could tell I was in the right spot as people were milling around, chatting, and grabbing a smoke outside the door. Rain was starting to fall so people were gathered close together under the overhang. Once I entered the building, I could see several people who seemed to work or volunteer there. A black gentleman was greeting people right inside the door. He had several pages of names and some people seemed to be checking in with him. I asked if I needed to check in before I could have food and he asked for my name since it was my first time. He encouraged me to grab some food but to come back if I had any questions. 

In the dining room, I found around 40 or so individuals eating, sleeping, and chatting. There were a variety of races and ethnicities in the dining room. As Heather McGhee pointed out in The Sum of Us, the racism in America negatively affects not just the people of color or marginalized communities but white people are left behind as well.

I went to the window and waited my turn to get a tray of food. I joked around a bit with the man in front of me and I appreciated the smile he offered. Honestly, I felt like I was stealing food. The two people in the window serving food were very kind and asked for my food preferences. I received a chicken alfredo pasta, salad with dressing, a slice of bread, and a pear. For beverages an older lady was serving water or lemonade. I had plenty to eat and got to work cleaning my plate. Most people were sitting by themself or with one other person. I sat near a woman that was looking at her phone. When she looked up, I tried to make a little small talk, but she got up to talk to someone else. A few minutes later, another couple came and joined us at the table. We talked about a cute jacket that the woman was wearing, and a discussion continued about affordable places to get a coat with the winter coming. 


A few people had laid down on benches or the floor to rest. I don't know if that is common, but it was raining outside, and I am sure they appreciated a little sleep in a dry space. As I looked around, I noticed that there were several doors leading off the dining room. One door was labeled Laundry, another read Housing, on the other side there were several rolling racks of bread and rolls. 

I finished my meal and was directed where to clean my tray and turn it in. I felt very humbled by the kindness I received, and I was overwhelmed with compassion. My life has been one of ease compared to the folks I met. I have never gone hungry or suffered any form of food or housing insecurity. We didn't have a lot of money, but Maslow's basic hierarchy of needs was always met. I tried to observe without judgement, the people that received a meal with me. I noticed that several guests had ongoing dental issues that I am sure was painful. Other individuals looked like they didn't have access to regular hygiene facilities or supplies. Some were sitting by themselves but anxiously engaged in conversation with no visible companion. I have had cavities and required tooth extractions. When I had those needs, I went to the dentist. When I struggled with anxiety I went to the doctor and received medication to help and a therapist to talk to. I sometimes shower three times a day if I work out or if it is a hot summer day. My life is so far removed from the reality that many in my community experience because of my white privilege. I left the Salvation Army that day with tears in my eyes, humility and appreciation in my heart for all those that serve in our community to lift the hands that hang down, and a commitment to do my part in our community to lift others up. I think I will be hitting the red buckets a little heavier this year.

                                                       

The Salvation Army is a great organization that provides medical/dental care, emergency housing, food, assistance with rent/utilities, social services, youth groups, addiction recovery, worship services, and more.

 https://centralusa.salvationarmy.org/northern/Rochester/

For my second cultural experience, I shopped at a Halal Market and ate at the adjoining Mediterranean restaurant. When I arrived at the market, the door was locked even though the sign said it should be open. I googled prayer times on my phone and found that prayer had just started. I waited in my car until prayer was over and thought about the times reserved for prayer each day. In a predominantly white community, we may be inconvenienced by a store or restaurant being closed for a few minutes throughout the day but in the greater Muslim world it is normal and accepted to pause and worship, committing to a culture and faith.





Once the store opened, I ventured in and found myself searching for anything familiar. Most of the items on the shelves were identifiable but their labels were a mystery to me. Even if I could identify a spice or grain, it didn’t mean that I would know how to use it. In the back of the store there was a small room with a TV, newspapers, and a couple tables and chairs. There were four men visiting and drinking coffee, tea, or something and discussing the news that was showing on TV. The market is located right across the street from the Mosque, and I wondered if the group of gentlemen gather often to visit and fellowship with one another.

 






I wandered around the store for several minutes and was hoping that a woman would walk in. There was a male proprietor who seemed very nice, but I felt nervous about asking him to help shop for groceries. I also I finally selected some items for purchase. I bought Tandoori bread, pomegranates, something that turned out to be like a cookie, and a new kind of tea to try. I consider myself a feminist and I have some assumptions about the role of women in Somalian or Arab cultures. I feel like women in these cultures must defer to the patriarch of the family and their voices are not often heard. I have been infuriated by the practice of honor killings and the pressure put on young women to not dishonor their family with inappropriate relationships or premarital sex. Whenever I have studied this issue there has been no discussion about young men dishonoring their families with their behavior. On the flipside I have great respect for people who live out their faith even when it sets them apart from the majority.

 

After looking at all kinds of food I had no confidence to cook, I went next door to the Mediterranean restaurant. The waitress was wearing hijab and that put me immediately at ease. For years, I have developed sweet friendships with women from Somalia and Yemen. I was intrigued and somewhat disappointed in myself when I noticed the different feelings I had toward the man in the market and the woman in the restaurant. I suppose that my comfort was likely from an assumption that I have more in common with a woman and assumed that I could build a relationship with the Somalian woman in the restaurant like I had done in the past. I suppose I need to push myself to learn more and interact with more men in the Somalian or Arab communities. 





I was determined to try something new and outside of my comfort zone. I settled on the lamb and beef sandwich. I have never had lamb, but the sandwich was delicious. I saw other things on the menu that I wanted but they were served more “family style” and that was too much food for me. I want to come back with friends and adventure a bit more. 

I am grateful for the experiences I have had on this assignment. I am also grateful for the new information I am gaining as I study. In the chapter regarding individuals and families of Arab descent, I am learning truths that will help me have more positive interactions with the Arab community. I am learning that Islam and most Arab cultures stress education for women and equality in relationships. It is apparently a more socio-political situation where women are denied education, rights, and a voice. With the religious respect I mentioned earlier, I am glad to know of the strength found at the mosque for this community and that involving an Imam in therapy could be helpful and appreciated. I am both humbled by all that I have yet to learn and excited about the journey.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment